We know that making the perfect burger seems like a daunting task, and even us pros put a lot of effort into our craft. We've written previous articles on the art of choosing a bun, choosing your cheese, and even how to properly grill a patty, but never how to make the patty itself. So today, we're here to remedy that. In order to have a perfect burger, you have to have a perfect base; so we have a few tips and tricks to form a moist, crunchy, juicy, and flavorful patty -- just like ours!
- Grind your own meat, or buy it freshly ground from a butcher shop. When you make your own ground meat you have complete control over the fat content, the type of grind, and the cut of meat. If the meat is freshly ground it lets the burger become more tender.
- Choose the right fat content. While we know that some people like to do 10% fat (since it is healthier), we recommend you stick with at least 20% fat. Fat makes the burger nice and juicy and prevents it from becoming too dry or tough.
- Add your seasoning. While you have the meat all spread out add some of your favorite seasoning to the meat to add a little bit of flavor to the patty itself. You can never go wrong with basic salt and pepper, but we suggest adding some chopped onion, cayenne, and some paprika.
- Don’t overwork the meat. While it sounds ridiculous, it is very easy to overwork the meat. This essentially means that when you take the meat and press it into a patty shape make sure you aren’t mushing the meat together too much. If the meat it too tightly packed the heat can’t distribute evenly and cook the patty evenly.
- Just press. Once you have a general ball shape of meat take two pieces of wax paper, set one on the flat surface set the meat down, and set another piece of wax paper on top. Then take a flat plate or the palm of your hand and press down on the wax paper, just once. And there you go a perfect patty!
After years of experimenting, what it really comes down to is quality and minimalism. All you need is some good meat, a gentle hand, and a little creativity. When it comes to making burgers, we like to think of ourselves as some of the best, but don’t take our word for it, come down and try us out today!